Monday, January 29, 2007

Like a Cancer

Sometimes God speaks to me when I'm visiting the little boys' room. I know, it's kinda gross. But seriously, it's happened to me more times than I can share, including just right now.

Here's how I think we're "trusting in man" and "depending on flesh for our strength:"

When I was hired, I was told that I was responsible for my own spiritual health and well-being. I was instructed to do the things that were necessary to be spiritually healthy, and that I and I alone was responsible for doing them. I was also told that it was not my job to look out for the spiritual well being of another staff member, nor was it their job to look out for mine. It was each of our jobs to look out for ourselves.

Something followed that piece of advice up like "Ministry is demanding, and there's a lot of work that needs to be done for the kingdom." That part wasn't word-for-word, but pretty much captures the philosophy behind what was said.

But, that's like saying this: "I'm going to put you in a room full of radioactive material. You and you alone are responsible for doing the things that will prevent you from getting cancer."

Or, it's like saying this: "I'm going to put you in the desert. Figure out how to stay alive."

Or really, it's like saying this: "The kingdom of God is like a room full of radioactive material or a desert. Learn how to work in it."

I just can't help but feel that working like this can not be what God intended.

1 comment:

cosmiccowboy said...

So are we responsible for your own spiritual health? Oh and we are not our brothers keeper either? So why is there a need for the church? Community what is that for? How does that fit in? More over what is the definition of community or is it more a social club . Where is my Island an be alone there with God.